As I said before I started fasting and I wanted for a long time to try a mushroom cream soup. The preparation was hard, I watched a lot of recipes and took notes on all I considered important for this recipe and this afternoon I tried my best.
And it was…the best mushroom soup I ever had.
• 1 kg mushrooms
• 1 large white onion
• 1 red pepper
• 1 celery stalk
• 4-5 cloves of garlic
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 1 can coconut milk
• 600 ml water / Vegetables stock
• 10 ml soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1 tsp powdered thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• salt and pepper to taste
The process was long:
1. I sliced the mushrooms after I washed them very well – they took in a lot of water (it seemed like it took forever for the water to evaporate)- then chopped the onion and vegetables.
2. In a soup pot I melted coconut oil and I cook the onion 5 minutes and then I added the rest of the vegetables and left them saute for 5 minutes.
3. I added the mushrooms that were initially hard to mix, but soon the water evaporated and the volume minimized.
4. I stirred them at high heat until all water evaporated- to let the mushrooms enhance their flavor.
5. I added the thyme, bay leaf, Himalaya salt with herbs and soy sauce.
6. When the water evaporated, I mixed in the flour and stirred for 2 minutes then added the vegetable stock. Tip: For the stock I preheated water in a electric kettle and added a tablespoon of vegetable salt.
7. I let it simmer on low heat 10-15 minutes.
8. I turned off the heat and started to blend the mushrooms.
9. I added the coconut milk, salt and pepper to taste and blend it again.
And so … I served it with croutons and a little parsley. It came out very creamy, with a fine texture and wonderful flavor.
I advise you to try, but be patient. The secret is in the cooking the mushrooms a long time to intensify the flavors.
Be wise, be healthy, be good!